Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wisdom or Sun??

Got a new hairstyle today. And as I stood before the mirror, observing myself from different angles, I realised I have started greying. Not one or two.... At least a dozen grey strands stood out teasing me. And then immediately I remembered a line Pa used to hum when I was young-- "Ek baar Raja Dashrath ne darpan mein apna mukh dekha, Dekha kuch baal safed huey chauthepan ko aate dekha." After months and years of scanning through Hindi to English dictionaries, I realised 'Chauthepan' meant the fourth quarter of a person's life.
Hell, I have not even entered my third quarter yet (perceiving I'll die at 60 :-P), and I am greying already?!? Was sure dismayed for a while. But then the next thought that flitted through my mind was that of my brother. He started greying at 22, and always refused to colour his premature greys because he said his (less) salt and (more) pepper look made him appear more mature in his corporate surroundings. Whenever I used to pull his leg by calling him 'uncle', he would always shut me up by replying nonchalantly, "Yeh baal maine dhoop mein safed nahi kiye."
A wide grin appeared on my face. Didn't I always try to emulate my brother, my ideal? I swelled with pride at the very glance of my greys, and adjusted my hairstyle a bit to make them more prominent. With a happiness never experienced before, I dressed up in a salwar kameez to heighten the "mature" effect and left for office, stealing glances at neighbours, and trying to see if my new "mature" look was being noticed. Crossed the complex. met a couple of acquaintances, but no one seemed to notice the changed me. Disappointed, I took an auto and reached office. A friend commented "Hey, you look younger in this new hairstyle"......
I called up the salon and fixed an appointment for getting my hair hennaed. Perhaps, maine baal dhoop mein safed kiye hain..... Sigh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment